Web and Computer Programming Courses
Expand your knowledge of Structured Query Language (SQL), the industry standard database programming language.
In this course, you'll learn techniques that will enable you to write powerful queries that perform complicated searches and sorts on your data. First, you'll explore how to write and implement complex queries on multiple tables simultaneously and how to apply advanced filtering techniques. You'll learn to create union queries that combine records from multiple queries, and you'll discover how to use union queries to exclude or include duplicate records. In addition, you'll find out how to use text strings within union queries.
Next, you'll master advanced techniques for updating various types of data stored in your tables. You'll learn how to update a single field, multiple fields, multiple records, date fields, and calculated fields. And you'll see how to update and set NULL values using an update statement.
In addition, you'll use advanced insertion techniques to add data to your tables and learn how to create, query, and modify temporary tables. You'll also see how to implement techniques to handle duplicate values stored in a table and how to limit the results of a result set. And finally, you'll discover how to use string functions to perform complicated searches on strings, how to implement date and time functions to insert and extract portions of a date, and how to create queries that accept input from users.
By the end of this course, you'll be able to use a wide range of advanced SQL techniques with confidence. Your new skills with databases will enhance your competitiveness in the technical fields of software development and database administration.REQUIREMENTS:
Fayetteville Technical Community College (FTCC) offers eight-week online courses that provide education and training in a variety of occupational areas! The courses are designed by a team of professionals from each respective field who work to provide you with an effective web-based learning experience. Prior to your course start date, you will receive a reminder e-mail that includes instructions on how to access the classroom website. Courses are hosted on ed2go's learning management system (LMS). Each program includes a set of lessons/modules and evaluations.PRE-REQUISITES:
Refund & Enrollment Policy
The refund policy for Fayetteville Technical Community College's Continuing Education Division was established by the North Carolina Department of Community Colleges, Raleigh on October 15, 1993. The full refund policy is listed in the NC Administrative Code 23NCAC.2D.0203 (d) Brief Statement of Policy:
- A pre-registered extension student who officially withdraws from an extension class(es) prior to the first meeting of the class (should be 24 hours prior) will be eligible for a 100-percent refund by completing an official request form.
- The refund will be 75 percent if requested prior to the 10-percent date of the class(es) meeting.
- No refunds will be given after 10-percent of class meetings.
Enrollment PolicyDeadline for registration is 5:00 P.M. (EST) Wednesday, a week before the course begins.
- To be officially enrolled in a course, students MUST log on and complete Quiz 1 by the first Friday of a course.
- To receive a passing grade for the course, students MUST complete 9 out of 12 quizzes and pass the final exam with a grade of a 70 or better. Failure to meet both requirements will result in a grade of "U" or unsatisfactory.
Accessing your course classroom:
- Please visit www.ed2go.com/ftcc.
- Double-check your receipt to make sure that you choose the correct course title and date!
- Once the home page pulls up, please type the course name into the Search Catalog bar at the top of the screen and press enter.
- When the course description pulls up, please click the red Add to Cart button.
- Choose your course date from the listing of dates in the "Session Date" drop down menu, and select the Continue to Checkout button.
- On the next page, if you are a returning student, please enter your e-mail address and password in the appropriate fields. At that point, continue through the steps until you reach the "Checkout" page.
- If you have never taken an Ed2Go course before, please create a username and password by clicking the link for new students. After creating your username and password, continue through the steps until you reach the "Checkout" page.
- Please click the "Checkout" button.
- After clicking the "Checkout" button, you will be taken to a page where you will read through the registration and payment information.
- If you have already registered and paid your registration fee on the Learn FTCC website, you will not need to make a payment for your course. At that time, please click on the "Enter My Classroom" button.
- If you have not registered and paid your registration fee on the Learn FTCC website, you will be directed to the Learn FTCC website to register and pay your registration fee. Afterwards, please click on the "Enter My Classroom" button.
- On the next page, please click the "Orientation" button on the next page and complete it.
- Write down your username and password in a safe location!
- On the start date of your course, you will return to the www.ed2go.com/ftcc home page, and click on the Classroom link to access your course or courses.
Computer & Course Materials Requirements
Microsoft Access 2003 or later (software must be installed and fully operational shortly before the course begins). Microsoft Access is bundled with Microsoft Office at the following web site: https://products.office.com/en/try. Depending on your operating system, you may be required to install additional service packs, which are available at the Microsoft Download Center: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/default.aspx.
NOTE: This course is not suitable for Macintosh users.
One of the following browsers:
Microsoft Internet Explorer (9.0 or above)